How Much Does Website Design Cost?
You probably won’t be surprised to hear there is no simple answer to the question how much does website design cost. It’s a bit like asking how much does a car cost. After all, you could probably get a car for a couple of hundred dollars if you wanted to. It will get you from A to B but it won’t look very good and it will probably break down a lot. Equally, you could buy a car that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, but for most people that is complete overkill.
The same applies when considering website design costs, i.e. it depends on what you want and how you get your website designed. At the bottom end of the scale, you can get a website that will cost you almost nothing if you build it yourself. If you want a professionally designed website, however, you can expect the cost to be in the thousands of dollars’ range.
As most SMEs in New Zealand will need a professionally designed website, this article focuses on professional, custom website design costs.
Website Design Auckland: Cost
The average cost of website design in Auckland is $1,000 – $10,000+ for a custom website built by a professional website design company.
The things that will affect the cost include the functionality you need and the services you want from the website designer. The website designer’s skills and experience also impact the price you pay.
As with most things in life, not all designers work to the same standards, with high-quality workmanship demanding a premium.
What Your Money Gets You
There are five main elements of website design, all of which influence the cost. This is what you can expect from your website design agency for its fee:
- Server setup – the configuration of your website’s server, implementing a CDN, installing an SSL certificate, setting up email on the domain, installing a CMS, and more.
- Website design including UX – this part of the process involves designing the layout of the website. This usually means customising an existing template or creating a fully customised option. UX is important too. This involves looking at the navigation, user flow, and ease of use to ensure the user experience is as good as possible.
- Adding functionality and custom code – this is where your website designer works on the website’s engine adding the functionality you need. This can be anything from web forms to shopping carts and checkouts to integrations with your existing systems.
- Content creation – your website needs text and images. Your website designer will coordinate this part of the process and may also provide copywriting and graphic design services.
- Ongoing maintenance – a website is never fully finished as it requires ongoing maintenance and updating. This will be included in the price you pay for the website for a fixed period of time. You will need a maintenance contract once this time expires.
The Cost of Your Website
As mentioned above, you can get a website online for next to nothing if you want to. Why, then, should you invest several thousand dollars in a website design? Firstly, nothing is really free. There are costs involved even if you build the website yourself, plus you will need to spend time learning how to do it – as your time is money, there is a cost associated with this too.
The main reason for getting a professionally designed website at the above design costs, however, is results. Your website will look better and it will function better when it is professionally designed. This will help ensure your website achieves its objectives.
My name is Adam Hyatt and I’m the co-founder of Kiwi Website Design and a Certified Google Partner.
Call Me at 022-3044799 or E mail me for Free 30 minutes consultation. Being a certified Google Partner & Digital Marketing expert for over 10 years, I am confident that I can open Floodgates of Consistently Profitable Traffic for your Website.