Top Tips for Effective Product Description Writing
How important are product descriptions? After all, some products appear to sell just fine even though the description is poor. This doesn’t mean product description writing are not important, though.
Here are some reasons why you should optimise your product descriptions:
- Helps the customer understand what the product does
- Explains the benefits of the product to the customer
- Helps the customer imagine using, wearing, or consuming the product
- Helps with SEO as a product description gives Google more content to analyse
Top Tips for Good Product Descriptions Writing
- Make each product description unique – this can be a challenge if you have a lot of products. It is important to make them unique, however, both to help potential customers when they are viewing your website and for Google. Remember, even though some of your products may be very similar, using the same description on each one could be classed as duplicate content on Google. Duplicate content is one of the things Google does not like.
- Don’t get fixated on word count or length – there is no fixed length that your product description should be. In fact, there is no recommended length either as it simply depends on the product. This is because some products will require long descriptions, particularly if you have to describe what the product does. Others, however, will only need a brief sentence or two. An example is a pair of jeans, i.e. there is no need to describe what a pair of jeans does.
- Explain the product as clearly and concisely as possible – this means avoiding repetitive sentences and statements. It also means sticking to the point
- Explain the benefits – most buying decisions are made on the basis of benefits. Therefore, your product descriptions should not simply be a list of the technical specifications of the product. Instead, you should explain how the customer will benefit from owning the product.
- Include all information on the product – the last thing you want is for a customer to go to another website to find something out about the product because you didn’t give them that information on your website. If a customer does that, they might never come back to you to complete the purchase. Therefore, if the information is relevant to the customer, you should include it.
- Write for your customers – this might sound like an obvious thing to do, but many product descriptions on the internet are not aimed at customers. Instead, they give the seller’s perception of the product with very little regard to what the customer thinks. To write good product descriptions for your customers, you must first understand who your main customers are. You should then tailor each product description to that audience.
- Make the description easy to read – this includes writing in a way that is informal and conversational. In addition, you should structure the text in a way that is easy to read. For example, you might think some customers will want to read a detailed description of the product and/or its technical specifications. Don’t push this content on customers who are not interested, however. A way of avoiding this is to put the additional content behind a link or tab, only leaving a brief description in the main section.
- Use bullet points – following on from the last point, lists of benefits or key features will improve your product descriptions.
- Think about SEO – where it makes sense, include keywords in your product descriptions to help improve the page’s ranking in Google.
- Always use images – in product descriptions, images are almost always more important than the text that accompanies them. A good approach for adding images to products is to follow Amazon’s guidelines for sellers. After all, when it comes to selling online, Amazon knows what it is doing.
In general, product descriptions should be quick to read, they should keep the viewer on the page (rather than going elsewhere to get additional information), and they should encourage the viewer to make a purchase. The above tips will help you achieve this so you can sell more.
|product description writing (Focus)||1K – 10K||Medium||Use minimum 4 times, in Para and headings|
|product description template (Sec.)||1K – 10K||Low||Use minimum 3 times, in Paragraphs|
|ecommerce product description(Sec.)||10 – 100||Medium||Use minimum 2 times, in Paragraphs|
|ecommerce seo (LSI)||1K – 10K||Low||Use minimum 1 times, in Paragraphs|
|production optimization (LSI)||100 – 1K||Low||Use minimum 1 times, in Paragraphs|